Health, Safety & Chain of Responsibility
C. Cockerill & Son is a safety conscious transporter. We pride ourselves on our strong safety record over a long period of time. The safety of the general public and our drivers depends on the adherence to company policy, industry safety standards and legislative requirements. We recognise our moral and legal responsibility to provide a safe and healthy work environment for employees, contractors, customers and visitors. This commitment extends to ensuring that we do not place the local community at risk of injury, illness or property damage.
As an ethical Australian freight company of professional drivers, C. Cockerill & Son adheres to its written policies governing driver health, alcohol & drugs, emergency procedures and maintenance – just to name a few. Our drivers are trained in these procedural matters and are required to keep their manuals for handy reference at all times.
To give an idea of our stringent transport and bulk haulage standards, excerpts from some policies are available here on the website:
As a professional transport company we:
- Maintain our vehicles to a high standard
- Schedule drivers to take regular breaks to manage fatigue
- Will not tolerate drugs of dependence
- Encourage our employees to keep themselves in sound health
- Require our drivers to undergo regular medical examinations
C. Cockerill & Son will:
- provide safe plant and systems of work
- provide written procedures to ensure safe systems of work
- ensure compliance with legislative requirements and current industry standards provide information, instruction, training and supervision to employees, contractors and customers to ensure their safety
- provide support and assistance to employees
Management is responsible for:
- The provision and maintenance of the workplace in a safe condition.
- Involvement in the development, promotion and implementation of health and safety policies and procedures
- Training employees in the safe performance of their assigned tasks
- The provision of resources to meet the health and safety commitment.
Employees are to:
- Follow all health and safety policies and procedures
- Report all known or observed hazards to their immediate manager
- C. Cockerill & Son is committed to consultation and co-operation between Management and Employees. C. Cockerill & Son will consult with employees in any workplace change that will affect the Health and Safety of its employees.
- This policy is applicable to C. Cockerill & Son Pty. Ltd., in all its operations and functions including those situations where employees are required to work off site.